Valuable tools for independent pharmacy ownership
Planning to become a pharmacy owner or selling a pharmacy can be a daunting task — but with the help of proven resources, the process can be dramatically simplified. As part of McKesson’s commitment to supporting that process, we have assembled a valuable collection of tools and resources to help you.
RxOwnership® is here to support you in opening your brand-new pharmacy, acquiring an existing pharmacy or selling your pharmacy to another independent. We can help you:
- Understand your options
- Find the information you need about the process
- Get to know your financing options
- Identify locations
- Identify the types of business consultants who can support you
- Find tools to assist you in evaluating your goals and creating a business plan
- Engage McKesson assistance, like your area credit manager, Health Mart® and outside resources
Health Mart pharmacy franchise benefits
Health Mart is leveling the playing field for independent pharmacy owners. As an independent Health Mart pharmacy, your business will benefit from the scale of the largest network of independent pharmacies. We’re strong, yet flexible, and we’re here to help you grow your business — your way.
Gain access to preferred networks
- Secure network contracts as a member of one of our partner PSAOs.
- Understand the intricacies of performance measures and opportunities to deliver impactful results.
- Improve your pharmacy’s clinical performance through clinical services.
Bring more patients to your store
- Get more than your fair share of patients — and keep them coming back — with customizable marketing tools to promote your personalized care and services.
- Amplify and broaden the reach of your local name and reputation with our nationally recognized brand.
- Know your prescribers — and make sure they know you! Access prescriber data and marketing resources that help you build stronger relationships.
Expand your services for more revenue
- Expand your pharmacy beyond filling prescriptions with convenient services for patients.
- Differentiate your pharmacy and drive additional fills with coaching sessions about medication adherence.
- Stay competitive and diversify your revenue streams with new lines of business.
The Health Mart difference
When you join Health Mart, you join a network of thousands of best-in-class independent pharmacies and benefit from a comprehensive portfolio of programs that help you compete and improve profitability. In addition, you align with a national brand widely recognized for superior customer service. But at the same time, you maintain full control over how you position and market yourself in your community, so you can promote the unique qualities of your store.
Health Mart presents a pharmacy business model that is designed for today’s independent pharmacy, but without the obligations and commitment that other franchises require.
Unlike other pharmacy franchise opportunities, Health Mart:
- Does not require an initiation fee to join
- Requires only a fixed monthly franchise fee, with no revenue requirements
- Includes a no-fault opt-out clause that lets franchisees leave the franchise without penalty at any time with 90 days’ written notice
Find help writing a sample business plan
The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is America’s most powerful engine of opportunity and economic growth. The SBA offers a variety of programs and support services to help small businesses. Click here to find a business plan template.
The Entrepreneur website offers “how to” articles, links to templates for a business plan and other useful forms.
Find your state’s pharmacy association
The National Alliance of State Pharmacy Associations (NASPA) promotes leadership, sharing, learning and policy exchange among state pharmacy associations and pharmacy leaders nationwide, and provides education and advocacy to support pharmacists, patients and communities working together to improve public health.
Apply for your DEA number so that you are licensed to order and dispense prescription narcotics
The Drug Enforcement Administration has all the forms needed for those applying to DEA for a controlled substance registration.
Learn about solutions that challenge the healthcare industry
The National Council for Prescription Drug Programs (NCPDP) and the pharmacy industry have developed solutions to problems including real-time claims adjudication, eligibility and benefit verification, real-time ordering by physicians, and sharing of medication.
Find help getting your National Provider Identifier (NPI) number
Organizations can apply for an NPI through the National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES).
Learn more about the largest association of pharmacists in the United States
The American Pharmacist Association (APhA) is dedicated to helping all pharmacists improve medication use and advance patient care.
Connect with the NCPA
The National Community Pharmacists Association represents the pharmacist owners, managers and employees of more than 23,000 independent community pharmacies across the United States. The organization is dedicated to the continuing growth and prosperity of independent community pharmacy in the United States.
Learn more about NCPA’s Ownership Academy
The NCPA Ownership Academy is a “go-to” resource for NCPA members in all phases of community ownership — from exploring the community pharmacy path as a student to tools assisting in pharmacy purchase, enhancing practice and profitability as an owner, and transitioning out of ownership into retirement. Learn more.
Learn more about independent pharmacy franchises
Health Mart, the industry’s fastest-growing network of independent pharmacies, unifies leading independents under a common brand to provide the collective strength of a chain, while still enabling franchisees to maintain their independence. Find out more about becoming a Health Mart.
Get help setting up your managed care contracts
The suite of managed care services from AccessHealth® includes expert third-party contracting including the majority of Medicare Part D plans nationwide; a competitive portfolio of long-term care plans and numerous closed networks; and money management tools such as consolidated reimbursement, electronic funds transfer (five days a week), online claim reports and reconciliation assistance.
Discover automation management tools for your independent pharmacy
McKesson Pharmacy Systems (MPS) is a leading supplier of integrated pharmacy management systems and services. Our customer service, innovative products, quality management, and effective design and development can assist in your success. Parata’s powerful pharmacy automation technology improves dispensing safety and productivity.
Find help streamlining your front-end and pharmacy processes
McKesson Pharmacy Systems’ Point of Sale (POS) system is a Windows-based open platform solution that integrates with many pharmacy systems and peripheral hardware, including electronic signature capture devices.
Find job opportunities with independent pharmacies
Pharmacist E-link is one of the web’s most respected sources of information for pharmacists. Get the facts about current job openings and post your resume to reach independent pharmacy owners seeking to fill open positions.