Don’t wait for graduation to get your foot in the door
As you begin your promising career in pharmaceutical care, you may be asking yourself an important question: Which pharmacy setting is right for me?
Of all the options available to you, only independent pharmacy ownership offers the ultimate freedom you need to control your own destiny. Independent pharmacies have been at the center of pharmaceutical care in the U.S. for more than 200 years. Today, more than 22,000 independent pharmacies dispense 36% of the nation’s retail prescription medicines.
Independent pharmacy ownership provides you with the professional and personal satisfaction you’re seeking. RxOwnership® can supply you with the facts and figures you need to make the right decision for your future.
Independent pharmacy statistics
A career in independent pharmacy is an outstanding choice on many different levels. The following statistics demonstrate the significance of the profession:
- Independent pharmacy: $81.5 billion marketplace
- Independent pharmacy prescriptions dispensed annually: 1.34 billion
- Prescription medicines: 92% of annual pharmacy sales
- Average independent pharmacy sales: $3.7 million
- Average prescription sales: $3.38 million
- Average number of prescriptions per pharmacy: 60,493 annually, 194 per day
- Over 27% of independent owners have ownership in two or more pharmacies
- Overall, the average independent owns 1.79 pharmacies
Independent pharmacies offer a wide range of patient services
- The top patient-care services offered in 2015 were: medication therapy management (83%), medication adherence/synchronization (83%), delivery (65%), compounding (61%), durable medical equipment (61%), and ostomy supplies (38%)
- The top three disease state management services offered were: immunizations (67%), blood pressure monitoring (57%), and diabetes training (35%)
Staffing in independent pharmacies
- Average independent employs 1.5 FTE pharmacists (including owner)
- Average independent employs 3.2 FTE technicians
Source: 2016 NCPA Digest
Your pharmacy, your vision
A career in independent pharmacy allows you to realize your very own vision as both a medical practitioner and businessperson. It also enables you to have a greater impact on your patients and the local community.
With ultimate control of your pharmacy, you can adjust the practice to meet the needs of your patients, while interacting with them on a more personal level. You can also provide a comprehensive range of unique patient-care services, including:
- Asthma management, nutrition counseling and diabetes-management programs
- Medication therapy management
- Blood pressure, blood glucose, HgA1c and cholesterol screenings
- Long-term care services
- Durable medical equipment, natural and other specialty products
- Home infusion therapies
- Oxygen supply
- Medication synchronization and disease state management
Interested in starting your own independent pharmacy?
The RxOwnership website Buy section provides information and resources to get you started on your path to independent pharmacy ownership.
Learn about independent pharmacy franchises
Health Mart®, the industry’s fastest-growing network of independent pharmacies, unifies leading independents under a common brand to provide the collective strength of a chain, while still enabling franchisees to maintain their independence. Learn more.
Connect with the NCPA
The National Community Pharmacists Association (NCPA) can teach you about available financing options and help develop niche markets in patient-care services. Get connected.
Job opportunities with independent pharmacies
Pharmacist e-Link is one of the most respected sources of information for pharmacists. Get the facts about current job openings and post your resume to reach independent pharmacy owners seeking to fill open positions. Start now.